[행사/세미나] [Seminar] Jan. 19(Thur.) Bose-Einstein condensation of Kondo screening clouds in a highly-doped semiconductor metal
양자물질초전도연구실에서 동국대학교 임현식 교수님을 초청하여 아래와 같이 세미나를 개최합니다.
학과 구성원 여러분의 많은 참여를 부탁 드립니다.
○ Topic: Bose-Einstein condensation of Kondo screening clouds in a highly-doped semiconductor metal
○ Speaker: 임 현 식 교수님 (동국대학교)
○ Date/time: 2023. 1. 19. (Thur.) 16:30 PM
○ Place: General Studies(51), Room No. 51306
○ Abstract: When a magnetic moment is embedded in a metal, it captures itinerant electrons to form the Kondo cloud with a size of a few micrometres. For a metal with dense magnetic impurities such that Kondo clouds overlap with each other, correlated ground states are formed. Here, we study this issue by performing electrical transport and tunneling DOS spectroscopy measurements in a crystalline silicon metal where localized magnetic moments exist. We detect the Kondo effect in the resistivity of the Si metal and an exotic BCS-like pseudogap in the DOS near the Fermi energy. The BCS-like DOS structure is tuned by applying an external magnetic field and transformed into a paramagnetic Coulomb gap. This phenomenon is interpreted as the formation of a correlated ground state of overlapping Kondo clouds (Kondo condensation). Our experimental findings demonstrate the observation of the magnetic version of BCS pair condensation and will be useful for understanding complex Kondo systems.